Since 1984, the Schools Spectacular has grown to become more than just a showcase highlighting the talents of the students of New South Wales Public Schools. It is an iconic cultural event incorporating students from diverse backgrounds and communities from the length and breadth of the state. The Schools Spectacular is a world-class arena production and one of the largest annual events of its calibre anywhere in Australia, and arguably the world. From its ability to produce national and international stars, to its role in promoting inclusiveness and reconciliation, the Schools Spectacular has no peer.
In brief, the Schools Spectacular:
- has taken place annually at Qantas Credit Union Arena (formerly known as the Sydney Entertainment Centre) since 1984 and in 2016 was held at the Qudos Bank Arena.
- 2016 was the biggest year yet! We set a new GUINNESS WORLD RECORDS TM for the Largest Amateur Variety Act with over 5,300 students performing in the show!
- is an established and well recognised event on the Sydney live entertainment calendar;
- showcases a cast of 2,300 dancers, a combined choir of 2,500, an 80-piece full symphony orchestra, a 25 piece stage band;
- delivers outstanding, cutting-edge artistry in dance and musical performance;
- features state-of-the-art sound, lighting and staging;
- is televised nationally in prime-time on Channel 7;
The Schools Spectacular is a remarkable New South Wales success story and is proudly presented by the NSW Department of Education.